Memberships, RSS, Blog Engage

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My kid is so cool

Yeah, I know. You're probably getting sick of me talking about my kids, but this is something way cool. My son is a member of the high school choir. Now, our high school has specialized choirs for certain age groups. For instance, my daughter is in swing choir, which is for the Jr. High kids. Next year, she'll be in the group known as "Magic Rhythm", which is for the Freshmen and Sophmores.

Well, my son is in a group called "The 21st Century Singers", which is designed for the Juniors and Seniors. Also, each member must try out for the choir at the end of their Sophmore year and there is no guarantee that each student will be chosen to be in this group. This group has won several competitions over the years, and our choir director was chosen as Nebraska Music Teacher of the Year, last year.

Anyway, this group got to go to Denver today. They sang the National Anthem at a Denver Nuggets basketball game tonight. This is a huge honor for these kids, and this is the 4th or 5th year they've done this. After they got done singing, they got to hang out and watch the game. It's pretty cool for them. I watched the beginning of the game from home, as I wasn't able to go. I was hoping to get to see the kids sing, but of course, it was more important to show clips from previous games than to show a group of hard working kids sing our country's Anthem. (Drippy sarcasm intended).

I can't hardly wait until my daughter is old enough to be part of this group. She has an amazing singing voice and already excels in choir. The choir director gave her an award last year for having the best voice in the 7th grade. She's already said that if my daughter keeps up like she has been, she'll be one of the stars of The 21st Century Singers in a couple years. Which will be cool, as I can live vicariously though her. Why? Cause I can't carry a tune in a paper bag.

No comments: