Memberships, RSS, Blog Engage

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Help stop Alzheimer's Disease



Alzeimer’s disease is a dreadful condition that attacks the brain and causes short term memory loss. No, I’m not a doctor. Unfortunately, I watched this disease ravage my grandfather in only a short amount of time. When we first realized that he had Alzheimer’s, he was simply forgetting little things like what time he was supposed to be somewhere or who he was supposed to call.

Then, he began forgetting things like where he’d parked his car, or where he was going while he was driving. The crushing part for me came after we placed him a nursing home that catered to victims of Alzheimer’s disease. He knew who my mother was, but thought I was my aunt, and thought my daughter was me. He couldn’t grasp the idea that I was old enough to have children of my own. All he remembered was that little girl.

Though there is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, there are many ways in which you can help in the fight. First of all, you can donate to the cause. Donations can be made over the phone, through the mail, or via the Internet. However, there is a way you can doing a little Christmas shopping and still know that you’re helping millions of Americans, and people from around the world, in their efforts to find a cure.

The Alzheimer’s Foundation now has an online store where you can purchase a holiday gift that will tell someone how much you love them and know that your money will be going into the ever-challenging efforts to stop this disease. Products for sale include a beautiful jewelry set, DVD’s on how to care for someone with Alzheimer’s, and several items with the Quilt to Remember logo on them.

Alzheimer’s disease doesn’t discriminate against those it strikes. Help end this mind-killing condition.



No comments: