Memberships, RSS, Blog Engage

Monday, October 29, 2007

I'm a Nano

Before I get into today post, I have to give a big shout out to my favorite pink buddy, Dani Pink. Recently she held a contest on her blog for a stuffed pink teddy bear from the Build-a-bear workshop. Well, I didn't win the bear, but I did win the second prize which is a bag full of candy. Whoo Hoo. I love candy. Thanks honey.

Ok, now on to the topic at hand. I don't know if any of you out there know it, but the 1st of November starts a huge endeavor for thousands of people around the world. It's called NaNoWriMo, which stands for National Novel Writing Month, and I will be participating again this year. What it comes down to is writers from all over work on writing a novel in 30 days.

The goal is to reach a 50,000 word mark by the 30th of November. Writers can create all the characters, the plot line, and anything else around the novel for weeks before it all begins, but they can't write one single word of the story until 12:01 am on November 1st. That is what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks.

I had everything ready to go and was going to write a story about a young Greek lad who was going on a journey in search of his father. Well, that all changed about 4 days ago. I was lying in bed, not quite asleep, but not really awake, when the story just came to me. The characters, the plot, and everything. I now have a whole new story in mind and I'm going to call it, "My Life After My Death".

In a nutshell, it's going to be about a woman who's true journey begins after she dies. It's not a horror or a mystery type story, but more of a sci-fi/fantasy type thing. I'm going to take my passion for ancient history and religions, and my Pentacostal upbringing, and mix them up into a hodpodge of possibilities.

Since it first came to me, I've done nothing but think about how it will all play out. Of course, if all goes as it always does, my characters will take on a life of their own and will take the story in their own direction. That's ok, though, as that usually makes for a better story in the long run.

So, as of the 1st of November, I will be working on my newest piece of fiction. I will keep everyone updated on my progress as the month wears on. I've got it figured out that if I can maintain a minimum of 1,700 words a day, I'll make my 50,000 word quota by the end of the month, and then some.

Who knows, this could lead to something wonderful. LOL

No comments: